Interview: Kebras









Kebras is a project that recently came to my attention. As a one man band essentially, it surprised me with it's depth and complexity as well as riffs. Being a longtime fan of Symphonic Metal, Extreme Metal, and Technical Metal, it should satiate fans of all three. I recently interviewed the mainman of this project, and here is what he had to say: 


I just listened to the EP and it definitely surprised me. Tons of shred and awesome dark heavy riffs everywhere. I heard a plethora of different influences ranging from Black Metal to Melodic Death Metal and beyond. Who are you main influences?

First of all, thank you for your words! I have a ton of influences: soundtracks from movies like Matrix, from old classic action movies, extreme electronic music like dutch and german Gabber, Darkstep, Drum ‘n’ Bass, classical music, traditional/ethnic music/instruments like the Indian Tabla and Turkish Bağlama, – as for Metal, my tastes range from Anaal Nathrakh, Spawn Of Possession, Meshuggah, Igorrr (I can’t consider it 100% Metal but…Igorrr is Igorrr), classic brutal death Metal acts like Deeds Of Flesh, Disgorge (USA) and Vile, Grindcore bands, Goregrind bands…then I also like Dimmu Borgir, Marduk, Belphegor, Immolation, more recently Disentomb…and then some of my biggest influences are guitar players like Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Michael Angelo Batio, Jeff Loomis, Jason Becker, Buckethead, bass players like Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke…I also like gypsy jazz guitar players like Angelo DeBarre and Biréli Lagrène….there are literally hundreds of bands and artists which shaped my songwriting, and some shaped almost exclusively my approach to how understand music, and/or how to understand my instrument and be able to connect with it in order to refine my way of communicate through it.




I noticed a difference with your music and stuff in a somewhat similar vein nowadays. It actually features good riffs that are distinct and heavy. What do you think some of these other artists are missing when they get into super symphonic territory but miss out on the riffs?

I think musicians should listen to a lot more genres and try to incorporate what resonates with them into the music they want to create, instead of focusing into one genre or on their two favorite bands and try to copy them. They might be very surprised about the way certain sounds can impact their minds.



How long have you been playing guitar, and what got you started?

I’ve been playing guitar since 1998, and I was inspired by my mother and grandmother who gave me the idea of starting to play guitar. I remember back in 1994 some old friend of my grandmother came to visit her, told something like “musical education is fundamental to a child’s growth” and proceeded to offer me a Casio organ. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing but I spent HOURS a day having a blast playing that. I think that were the roots of my musical interest.


What other bands/projects have you been in?

I’m on a technical brutal death metal band called Afterbleeding, and on a death metal band called The Blood Of Tyrants.


Your project is instrumental - any plans to get a lead vocalist or are you happy with the way it is?

I’m very happy the way it is!


What is your recording/gear/software set up like? (I ask because I'm also a solo artist primarily who hires session musicians and am curious)

Well, I use a BC Rich Warlock Bass, an Ibanez RG guitar, a POD X3 bean (I still use GearBox in 2020), a pair of KRK Rokit monitors and Reaper into an i7 computer!


What is the metal scene like where you're at?

There are some very good bands here: there is predominance on more classical approaches to the genre, but the extreme subgenres have been gaining more weight and attention.


P.A.T.O has some pretty interesting cover art. What inspired it?

It was an image of some ducks stomping a pigeon, and I had the idea of “demonizing” the ducks and put it on a kind-of apocalyptic scenario.


What does P.A.T.O stand for?

Actually, “pato” means duck in Portuguese. It comes from my love for ducks, and because I usually post a lot of ducks’ pics on social media. As I’m not very good with names, I thought “why not call Pato to my Promo?”


What does the project name Kebras mean?

Kebras is my nickname since high-school.


Any plans for a live lineup of the band/project? What would a Kebras show be like if you had your way?

I thought about that yes, but there’s nothing defined!


Thanks for the interview, your EP kicked major ass!

Thank you and I’m glad you liked it!


If you're interested in hearing Kebras you can check it out at the following links:


https://www.metalkingdom.net/kebras-39592

https://kebras.bandcamp.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview: Deeper Vileness (Black Metal)

Danzig - Deth Red Sabaoth (Review) 3/5