Interview: Draugen (Black Metal)




Draugen is a one man Black Metal band from Argentina that features extremely harsh occult soundscapes that probably would've given someone like Montague Summers nightmares. Cold, "kvlt" and desolate, it could appeal to many who are into the rawer side of Black Metal. With his recently released 3rd demo (and fifth release overall), Grim Forest Sky. I caught up with Draugen's mainman Arthur, and this is what he had to say: 


Tell me about the project, how did it start?  Draugen began after the dissolution of a project that was me in guitars with feelings thrash, black and sights of freedom. I started Draugen, with my guitar and a youtube drum base, with a demo, the lyrics and music were a sense of obscurantist imperialism at the beginning of Draugen. 



What inspired you to play the style of black metal you play?   At the beginning I was interested in investigating les legions noires, French black metal cult groups, and they inspired me with their black cloak. Mayhem's ep deathcrush was the draugen eps trigger in 2015 speaking in terms of musical aggressiveness.

 What are some occult concepts that inspire Draugen? The Occult concepts that inspire Draugen today are abstract concepts of witchcraft that Carlos Castaneda presents in his literature, that is actually anti-anthropology literature: the subject victory that is being studied over the anthropologist. Recounting his own transformation from common man to initiated shaman, it is a very interesting literature for modern man, return to the source of where the knowledge of the universe comes from, I spoke about that in my lyrics. 



Some of the releases don’t have lyrics printed. Why is this and what are the lyrics normally regarding?  At the beginning of draugen I used to record cassette music and write the lyrics on paper that have now been lost. Until I organized everything on computer, and the music is released with their respective lyrics today.

What are some ambient, noise or death industrial artists you dig, (seems like there’s an influence of this stuff on some of the releases)?   I really like a project of Argentine people called "Mueran Humanos", industrial post rock. I listen a lot to the Spanish band Paralitikos albums, good panning and musically very tastefull environments. Yes, I try to be as original and creative as possible in what I do, something I would enjoy listening to, riffs of guitars on a ghostly level appears on the song "Infinity's Fighters", accompaniment on guitars emulating flies around a rot appears on the song "Reawakening Evil From Ancient Times" for some examples. Another punk thing in my music is something I call the black metal essence of Draugen, punk amid the imperially dark blackgaze in my latest songs.

Tell me about the normal recording process for Draugen.

 I connect the guitar to an interface and this to a computer. The process is unique, I say, let's do it! I record a guitar today, and at night some voices, or so regulating the recording times of each thing, but it is always a ritual process, of importance and singularly, let's do it! but only when the spirit necessary for it floods me. At the time of recording my screams the neighbors must be scared or they must believe that I am dying, "Possessed". the beating of my heart increases and I create a closeness with the air singing. 

How do you get the "necro" sound in particular?  I got the necro sound using the low pass filter.   

Have you have any plans for a full lineup or live band in the future? There are no plans in the future to play live, parallel to your question if I have other things planned, eps, splits and other things are coming. Thanks

A special thanks must be given to Arthur for this intriguing interview.

You can find more info on Draugen from the following links:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview: Deeper Vileness (Black Metal)

Danzig - Deth Red Sabaoth (Review) 3/5